Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Mockingbird - Oreo Pudding Poke Cake

I recently finished reading Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine. The main character in this book is Caitlyn. She's an eleven year old with Asperger's Syndrome. As if this wouldn't make her day-to-day life challenging enough, Caitlyn's brother was recently killed in a shooting at his middle school. Devon was the only one who really understood Caitlyn. He helped her navigate all the social issues she couldn't understand. Caitlyn is left to figure out tricky social scenes and search for closure on her own, as her father and school counselor can never quite seem to communicate with her. I was really engrossed in this book because it gives a very unique perspective of someone on the Autism spectrum. You are able to see why Caitlyn is not able to pick up on what we consider to be normal social cues and colloquialisms. It also gives insights on why she exhibits what we might consider to be odd behavior.




Caitlyn is an extremely talented artist. When she draws, she only uses pencil. She prefers black and white to color because colors can mix together and make things messy. It becomes difficult to tell where one color begins and another ends. This aspect of black and white stuck out to me throughout the book, so it also came to mind when I was deciding what I wanted to bake. When I think of black and white food, I immediately think of Oreos. So I took to Pinterest and found this recipe for Oreo Puddin' Poke Cake from The Country Cook.



I love the concept of a poke cake. It just makes any cake moist and gooey all the way to the middle. The recipe from The Country Cook called for a box mix, but that is something I could not do. My Grandma would consider that cheating. So I used my favorite chocolate cake recipe and then followed the directions for the pudding topping.



My chocolate cake recipe comes from Althea Markworth. She was a friend of my Grandma's since they were both kids and my mother's godmother. This cake comes together really quickly and can be thrown in the oven in no time. It's a very wet batter, so the cake comes out very moist. My father is not a huge cake fan, but he will eat this until it is gone.

Oreo Pudding Poke Cake

Cake
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 cup margarine
1/4 cup cocoa
1 cup water
1/2 cup buttermilk (1/2 cup regular milk plus 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put flour and sugar in a large bowl. Put margarine, cocoa, and water in a saucepan and cook to boiling. This could easily be done in the microwave as well. Just cook until the butter is melted. Pour cocoa mixture over the flour and sugar and mix well. Add in buttermilk, eggs, baking soda, and vanilla, mixing after each addition. Pour batter into a greased 9 by 13 pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.

Pudding
2, 4 ounce packages Jello Oreo cookies n' creme pudding mix
4 cups of milk
Crushed oreos

When the cake is almost finished baking, begin mixing the pudding according to the directions on the package. Mix the powder with the milk for about 2 minutes. Let the pudding set for about 2 minutes. You do not want it to set for the whole 5 minutes so that you are still able to pour it easily.

While the cake is still warm, poke holes in it at about 1 inch intervals using a wooden spoon handle or a straw. Pour the pudding over the cake and smooth it out evenly. Put the cake in the refrigerator until it is completely cooled.

Crush about one row of Oreos from the package. I do not have a food processor, so I put them in a bag and crushed them with a rolling pin. Spread the crushed cookies over the top of the cake.

Keep finished cake refrigerated.


12 comments:

  1. WOW! That looks fantastic. I'm going to have to make me one of them very soon. How did the taste come out? Do you have any suggestions for slight changes to the recipe when I make one? Also, I love parallel that you make to the books…especially with the black and white thinking vs. Oreos . Keep the ideas and great books coming our way in your blog, Sarah. It’s been a joy Reading your posts so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam! I have to say, it's delicious. It's been going pretty quickly at my house. The only suggestion I would have would be that if you want to be able to taste more of the cake, use only one package of pudding for the topping. Otherwise, it's perfect!

      Delete
  2. This looks amazing, and I would love to read the book. Another one for my list, I think I will find some good reads from your blogs. Can't wait to read more, and maybe have some taste testing again? HINT HINT !


    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks DELICIOUS Sarah! I love your thought process when figuring out how to connect the book with a dessert. I still think this is one of the most creative ideas. I also love how you take your baking seriously. I agree with you about the cheating part! I think it's neat that your grandma has such an influence in your baking decisions. If you think of it, baking is such a generational thing. We often learn from moms or grandmas and recipes and methods keep getting passed down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, Sarah!! This looks incredible!!! I'm wishing it wasn't so late and I could rush out to buy the ingredients right now! I love the way you choose what to bake! Books, who knew they could inspire yummy treats?!

    Also, I really want to read Mockingbird. Sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to read Mockingbird! What an interesting and unique story to tell. You should look into Out of my Mind or Stuck in Neutral. Both of them have interesting narrators with disabilities. Okay, now I need to talk about oreos. These are my FAVORITE cookies!. I love to buy a pack of spring oreos with the yellow frosting (they are the freshest). Nevertheless, I'm really surprised at how manageable this recipe appears. I really like that you made the cake from scratch. I'm making this!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My children LOVE Oreos. I am going to try this recipe for them-- perhaps this weekend. I love this idea for a blog. It is very clever. I also love your thought process for choosing what to make. It is very creative. Next, I think you should read The Chocolate War, right before we have class. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read Mockingbird and thought that it was a fabulous book! It was interesting how they didn't tell you what had happened to her brother for a while in the book. But the autism spectrum was what this book was all about. So of course, you pulling out the black and white and coming out with a recipe for it is incredible. Nicely done - it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah, you need to list your blog on the Book Blogger Directory: http://bookbloggerdirectory.wordpress.com/ I am sure you would generate more readers very quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Sarah,
    I loved this book and I can't wait to try this recipe one day. I think a book that you'd like is "Drums Girls And Dangerous Pie" by Jordan Sonnenblick. It will be quite interesting if you are able to portray dangerous pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I will put that on my list! I haven't read the book, but the first thing that comes to mind when you say dangerous pie is one that's dangerously delicious. I'm thinking a chocolate chip cookie pie!

      Delete